The Leavitt Residence is an extensive renovation to a 1920′s mercantile building in the Chicago neighborhood of Bucktown by architecture studio Miller Hull Partnership. The 3-story existing structure consisted of heavy timber framing, with brick cladding at the exterior. An effort was made to respect the existing 8,600 square foot building while at the same time inserting dramatic new design gestures. The most significant insertion was to add an expansive window wall which extrudes upward and flows over the roof to create a highly transparent penthouse. The window wall provides connection to a private yard, a valuable asset in this dense urban setting.
Source, credits, details and more at: onekindesign.com